본 논문은 사적 제 11 6호로 지 정 되어 있는 ‘해미읍성’의 축성 과 규모, 조선시대 전·후기의 기 능변화에 대해 고찰한 글이다. 충청도 내포지 역에 위치한 ‘해미 읍성 ’은 원래 고을 치소성인 읍성으로 축성된 것이 아니고, 충청 병여성으로 축조된 것이다. 해미의 충청병영성은 여말선초 잦은 왜구의 출몰을 경험했던 조선초기에 내포의 외적 방어 중심지 기능을 수행하기 위해 세워진 것이다. 태종은 순성된 강무를 통해 직접 이곳을 돌아보고 병여성 축성의 적지를 살펴보았다. 늦어도 세종 3년(1421)까지는 병영성이 완성되었으며, 그 규모는 하삼도의 다른 내성성에 비해 조금도 손색이 없는 것이었다. 해미 의 병영성 에 는 수렵을 익혔기 때문에 말을 잘 타고 행동이 날렵한 신백정 이 배속되 기도 했는데,이 또한 여 말부터 내포에 자주 출몰한 왜구를 의식한 조치였다. 조선전기 해미의 충청병영성 에 는 전 입 병 마절도사와 함께 병마우후, 심약, 5 명 의 군관, 375 명 의 유방병, 수십명의 나장, 차비군,공장, 다수의 이속과 수백명의 노비가 거주하고 있었다. 이러한 병영 안에는 오륙백칸에 달한 공해와 창고가 갖추어져 있었으며, 충무공 이순신이 선조 12년(1595)에 군관으로 부임했을 뿐만 아니라, 선조 28년(1595)에 병사로 부임했던 원균의 송덕비가 세워졌던 것으로 추측된다. 조선후기에는 임진왜란을 통해 확인된 내포지역의 전략적 중요성 감소, 내포에 충청 병영과 수영이 함께 위치함으로써 야기되는 병 ·수사 지대로 인한 내포지역민의 과도한 부담 경감, 충청·감영·병영·수영이 모두 충청우도에 위치하였기 때문에 호서좌도에 생긴 치안공백의 해결등을 위해 충청병영 이 해미에 서 청주읍성으로 이치되자 반양리에 있던 해미현 치소가 해미 의 옛 내상성 안으로 옮겨졌다. 그런데 충청벙영의 청주 이치 직후 ‘ 해미읍성’ 안의 구 병영은 실화로 소진된 바 있으며, 이 후에 도 공해 의 수축이 있었으므로, 조선후기 기록에 등장하는 해미 읍성내의 공해와 창고 등 시설물은 조선전기의 병영성과 많은 차이를 보이고 있다. 조선후기 해미읍성은 현의 치소일 뿐만 아니라, 현감이 영장 겸 토포사를 겸한 호서좌영에 해당 하였으므로 일반 관아와는 디른 기능과 문화적 성격을 지니고 있었다. ‘해미읍성’의 발굴조사 및 정비 복원은 이와 같은 점이 충분히 고려된 상황에서 이루어져야 할 것이다. 또한 ‘해미읍성’을 교육자료로 활용할 때에도 조선전 후기의 달라진 기능을 고려해야 할 것이다.
This study is to investigate the historical changes of 'Haemieupsung', the Historic Site No.116 of National designated Cultural Assets. The existing 'Haemieupsung' is a castle of barracks in Choongchung-do, which was built between the late period of King Taejong and the early period of King Sejong in order to make preparation against the invasion of Japanese pirates into Naepo. In the banoacks in Haemi in early Joseon, there were one Provincial Army District Commander, one Vice Army District Commander, one Simyak, five commissioned officers, 375 soldiers stayed for defense, dozens of Najangs and Chabiguns, 15 craftsmen, several lower-class public officials, and hundreds of slaves, and public buildings and warehouses with 5 ~600 compartments. In Chunghuhjeong, which was built in the barracks III the 22th year of King Seongjong (1491) and continued to exist until the mid-eighteenth century, scripts of bureaucrats, poets, and calligraphers of Joseon remained. Meanwhile, Admiral Lee Sunsin worked in the Haemi Barracks as a commissioned officer, and Won Kyun was in office as Choongchung Byungsa. In the second year of King Hyojong (1651), the Choongchung Barracks in Haemi was transfelTed to Chungjoo, and the old balTacks in Haemi became a eupsung as the Chiso (a government office) of Haemihyun was moved into it. However, the Haemjeupsung in late Joseon was not a mere Chiso (a government office) but had it own fun ctions and cultural properties di fferent from typical government offices because it was the Hoseojoayong (a government office for Hoseo region) in which the Hyungam (a small country magistrate) of Haemi was the same time Yongjang (the head of a Yong) and Toposa (an office for cathing thieves). The hi storical changes of Haemieupsung between the early and the late Joseon should be suffi ciently considered in the excavation, restoration, and maintenance of, and the use of educational material of 'Haemieupsung'.